Added Apr 20, 2010
I found this 1939 dress pattern on Etsy. Once again I got frustrated looking for a vintage pattern that exactly matched my measurements so I just grabbed one that was close enough, this one is a bit smaller than my measurements.
This pattern has a lot of nice details that make it utterly impossible to do a tissue fitting so I purchased some super-cheap fabric and decided to try out the top section of the dress, the idea being that if it worked then I would add a peplum and wear it as a blouse.
The recommended finishing techniques for this pattern are bias facings and bias bindings, which mean’t I got to try out my bias tape maker for the first time. Unfortunatley using bias facings as finishings looks messy and they don’t sit well, I have prick-stitched them down on this version but I will draft an all-in-one neck facing if I remake this as a dress.
Usually when I am pinning and cutting my fabric I use an idiots version of tailors tacks which is to stick pins through the markings on the pattern and then stick a pin through from the other side to mark the other section of fabric and then after unpinning the pattern I pull the two pieces of fabric apart and hope that my marker pins stay in……For this pattern I decided to use proper non-idiot tailors tacks for the first time. Why-oh-why have I not done this before??
This pattern has the MOTHER of all sleeve heads, they are huge AND they have a taffeta circle of stiffening (folded in half and basted inside the sleeve head). The bulk of the 3 layers of fabric made it impossible to pull the gather stitches which kept snapping so I used my ruffle foot for the first time and it worked like a dream.
All in all this fabric was a bit of struggle and a bit of a mess as an end product but a nice pattern and with a few tweaks and a nice plain fabirc this could be a nice dress.
Carrying on with my vintage theme and thanks to Burda Blog I have found a great line of vintage reproduction patterns in multiple and plus sizes. Hoorah. I have just bought a nice vintage reproduction blouse pattern from http://www.evadress.com/index.html
2.2 Metres Crepe Microprint fabric for £2.99 from Ebay seller nadeem1001
If this fabric were a lady I would call it the B word, it’s hard to pin, hard to cut straight, hard to sew, hard to press…..Love the print though and can’t complain about the price.
New pattern categories and how-to changes.
Fashion & Trends
Style this summer favorite for early and late fall.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's latest mash up and see other BurdaStyle member's variations!
Sporty dresses, oversized cardigans, and easy tops in jersey and knits.
Pattern of the Week
This boho lace top is the perfect piece to start wearing this time of year.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.