Added Apr 20, 2010
I found this 1939 dress pattern on Etsy. Once again I got frustrated looking for a vintage pattern that exactly matched my measurements so I just grabbed one that was close enough, this one is a bit smaller than my measurements.
This pattern has a lot of nice details that make it utterly impossible to do a tissue fitting so I purchased some super-cheap fabric and decided to try out the top section of the dress, the idea being that if it worked then I would add a peplum and wear it as a blouse.
The recommended finishing techniques for this pattern are bias facings and bias bindings, which mean’t I got to try out my bias tape maker for the first time. Unfortunatley using bias facings as finishings looks messy and they don’t sit well, I have prick-stitched them down on this version but I will draft an all-in-one neck facing if I remake this as a dress.
Usually when I am pinning and cutting my fabric I use an idiots version of tailors tacks which is to stick pins through the markings on the pattern and then stick a pin through from the other side to mark the other section of fabric and then after unpinning the pattern I pull the two pieces of fabric apart and hope that my marker pins stay in……For this pattern I decided to use proper non-idiot tailors tacks for the first time. Why-oh-why have I not done this before??
This pattern has the MOTHER of all sleeve heads, they are huge AND they have a taffeta circle of stiffening (folded in half and basted inside the sleeve head). The bulk of the 3 layers of fabric made it impossible to pull the gather stitches which kept snapping so I used my ruffle foot for the first time and it worked like a dream.
All in all this fabric was a bit of struggle and a bit of a mess as an end product but a nice pattern and with a few tweaks and a nice plain fabirc this could be a nice dress.
Carrying on with my vintage theme and thanks to Burda Blog I have found a great line of vintage reproduction patterns in multiple and plus sizes. Hoorah. I have just bought a nice vintage reproduction blouse pattern from http://www.evadress.com/index.html
2.2 Metres Crepe Microprint fabric for £2.99 from Ebay seller nadeem1001
If this fabric were a lady I would call it the B word, it’s hard to pin, hard to cut straight, hard to sew, hard to press…..Love the print though and can’t complain about the price.
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
Three videos, a web seminar, and five patterns help you master stretchy stitching.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.