Added Sep 21, 2010
Westminster Fabric and BurdaStyle bestowed the great opportunity upon me to use fabric from Westminster and a pattern of my choice by BurdaStyle to make an outfit. I decided to use several fabrics from the same collection that I gathered on my own in addition to what Westminster volunteered to provide and two different patterns from BurdaStyle, the Lace Detail Dress (BurdaStyle donated this one to the project) and Waistcoat with Print Lining.
I gave the waistcoat welted pockets on each side of the front and also sewed some tucks using a few different fabrics along the front edges. I added a seam pocket to the dress on the right side. The edges of the armholes and neck are finished with bias-tape in one of the prints used throughout the outfit.
I made the flounce on the dress double sided, the top with a purple paisley print and the underside with a red floral. The edges are finished with another complimentary fabric bias-tape. I found some beautiful purple lace and used two layers of that under the flounce.
I combined all the fabrics on the back and hem using a crazy quilt technique (little pieces of fabric stitched together in a mish-mash of shapes). I hand stitched the back crazy-quilt applique and threw in a few beads along the way. I applied the crazy-quilt style trim at the hem with a feather stitch on my machine.
Beautiful fabric (Liberty Art Collection) from Westminster.