Added Jun 27, 2014
When I bought this great printed silk, I knew I will do a very simple dress, cause had only 1 m of Fabric. I used Burda pattern 126/08.’98.When I put the pattern on Fabric it Didnt match so I put it how I thought will work. This time I was wrong, the dress was too tide and Didnt Look good so I start to make changes :-)
I made it longer, under knee size. I added kimono sleeves cause Fabric left wasnt enough to cut normal sleeves. And I LOVE how it turned, ITS matching so well with the dress :-) it gives balance with the skirt print!
Then I made a Deep V cut on neck, the boat neck Didnt match anymore.
Then I saw that waist line needed something to give more Shape to the dress so I added a belt from small Fabric left. I wanned to make in that up side down V to give longer size on legs :-)
On back of the dress I added a V on zipper side cause was not enought to Close the dress, and I ended the belt in V Shape that makes waist slimmer from back side.
I put a contrast color hidden zipper as a detail.
For the neck line I used white bias satin ribbon.
What I did first time on dress, I used a double glue band to finish sleeves hem and skirt hem, in this way, theres No visible stich and on back side I added bias satin ribbon in a contrasting color.
I liked so much this project, cause mistakes worked my imagination and I felt like designer playing :-)
I can only tell YOU to not be affraid to make mistakes, sometimes the final result can be stunning!
Now Im working on a clutch for this dress :-)
Thank YOU for watching!
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.