Added Nov 16, 2010
I was wanting a new bag but could not find one in a price range that I liked so I decided to make one. I also wanted to use and experiment with my new sewing machine without getting too overwhelmed with the project. I used McCall pattern 6089 and made bag E. However, I did some modification by not using the side piece or the fabric latch on the front. While I liked the size of the bag and the techniques taught by using the pattern, I would probably not make this same bag again. One of the things that bothers me most is that the front and the back of the bag is even except for the flap; this makes it hard to get into (the third image shows this.) I also thought the bag was a tad bit messy with the large and visible inside seam in the lining. I will probably take it apart again and experiment with changes. I do like the bag a lot and have used it every day since I made it in late September. It took me a weekend of casually working on it to finish simply because I did not want to stress out too much and many of the steps were hard to understand (I am sure that is a symptom of not being an experienced sewer). I think someone who has more experience (and stronger wrists for all the cutting), could accomplish this bag in an afternoon.
I used corduroy, sew-in interfacing, and calico. I would use these materials again, except I would pick an interfacing that was more stiff. The button I used is a reproduction of buttons from the Edwardian era. I would have preferred gold with the color scheme, but I could only find a silver magnetic clasp.
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.