Added Jan 3, 2010
Sydney (Inner We...
Burda’s project of the week! A wee-small remnant of stretch black wool is the perfect size for this one. And soooo comfortable. Not your average pencil skirt, either! It stretches every way I bend (see the 2nd photo). Like wearing a hug. Did I mention it is comfortable? I love it
A few modifications:
1) tapered line of skirt to be more figure hugging – in at waist and in at knee
2) used two pieces for waist band – two side seams instead of one (because of limited size of remnant)
3) hand stitched hem so it is invisible – I first made the twin stitching hem and didn’t like how the shape of the fabric changed. I unpicked it (seriously, late night) and hand stitched for a smooth seamless look
4) hand stitched seam allowance at waist band – the fabric is quite thick and the stitching holds it in place for a lump-free profile
5) added ribbon loop to inside of centre back waist band – now I can tell the front from the back
Thank you, Burda!
That’s a fabric remnant put to sensational use.
wool polyamide jersey
Check out these festive sewing patterns just in time for Oktoberfest
Fashion & Trends
All the fall trouser sewing inspiration you need.
Pattern of the Week
This jacket is a mix of mod and military and will change the look of any outfit!
Go far afield in this collection of bib dresses, waistcoats, and wool jackets in textured fall fabri
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this jean alteration technique and find out how you can learn more!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.