Added Jan 3, 2010
Sydney (Inner We...
Burda’s project of the week! A wee-small remnant of stretch black wool is the perfect size for this one. And soooo comfortable. Not your average pencil skirt, either! It stretches every way I bend (see the 2nd photo). Like wearing a hug. Did I mention it is comfortable? I love it
A few modifications:
1) tapered line of skirt to be more figure hugging – in at waist and in at knee
2) used two pieces for waist band – two side seams instead of one (because of limited size of remnant)
3) hand stitched hem so it is invisible – I first made the twin stitching hem and didn’t like how the shape of the fabric changed. I unpicked it (seriously, late night) and hand stitched for a smooth seamless look
4) hand stitched seam allowance at waist band – the fabric is quite thick and the stitching holds it in place for a lump-free profile
5) added ribbon loop to inside of centre back waist band – now I can tell the front from the back
Thank you, Burda!
That’s a fabric remnant put to sensational use.
wool polyamide jersey
See all entries and vote.
See more prize details and how to enter...
Cool greys transition from summer to fall in a shirt dress, flowing maxi skirt, and new jackets.
8 patterns, a web seminar, and technique videos for sewing menswear.
Sewing & Techniques
Say goodbye to skipped stitches and damaged seams!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.