Added Feb 2, 2011
i came into possession of a one and bit meter piece of sequined net for a ridiculously good price, so i decided to stretch the fabric to it’s full potential. I managed to wing a straight shift dress with side darts at the bust to improve the fit. amazingly, i had enough and with some careful cutting i managed to use the scalloped embroidered edge of the fabric as the hemline and the sleeve. the dress pulls over the head, as it has no zipper, and i used satin bias binding to finish the neckline. it’s pretty slick!
the sequin stuff isn’t that hard to work with, really. i managed to avoid cutting through sequins at the side seams as best as i could, but where i couldn’t avoid it i just picked off the sequins with a stitch ripper so that i could sew the seam. after i constructed the dress i sewed some sequins on that met the seam exactly. the fabric and the design are a perfect pair!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.