Added Jan 23, 2008
Brooklyn, New Yo...
I made this dress for New Year’s Eve, so I made some adjustments to ‘pump it up’.
As a technical adjustment, I added about an inch to the length of the yoke because I thought it looked pretty thin, which I imagined was a little hard to work with to get an even line. I also added about an inch to the shoulders, maybe two inches. Just to drop the yoke a bit.
I obviously shortened quite a lot. (9 inches according to the lengthen/shorten lines on the pattern).
I created this look with two layers of the under-dress, and three layers of the top dress. Plus a small lining (as the bottom most layer was uncomfortable tulle. I wanted a big poofy frock and I actually think I over did it a bit.
To correct, I took out 3 inches from each side seam (for a total of 6). I added a ribbon to the hem of the top layer that was slightly smaller in diameter that the dress itself, which pulled it in and created a slight bubble effect.
I beaded both the yoke and portions of the bottom dress with some iridescent sequins and silver beads for added sparkle.
Tulle! Lots of it. Some layers were ‘bridal’ with dollops of shimmer. Satin lining. The yoke is a cotton material with a silver print.
Pattern of the Week
Everyone needs a basic and elegant blouse to wear everyday, and this one could not be easier to sew!
Find your favorite fantasy silhouette in body-skimming satin and frothy tulle.
Member Project of the Week
Jaderbug is set to stun with a sequined mermaid skirt.
Sparkling styles for every fashionista in the premiere Winter 2014 issue of BurdaStyle US!
Learn how to to make a pair of leggings from start to finish in this week's new BurdaStyle Video!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.