Added Jan 23, 2008
Brooklyn, New Yo...
I made this dress for New Year’s Eve, so I made some adjustments to ‘pump it up’.
As a technical adjustment, I added about an inch to the length of the yoke because I thought it looked pretty thin, which I imagined was a little hard to work with to get an even line. I also added about an inch to the shoulders, maybe two inches. Just to drop the yoke a bit.
I obviously shortened quite a lot. (9 inches according to the lengthen/shorten lines on the pattern).
I created this look with two layers of the under-dress, and three layers of the top dress. Plus a small lining (as the bottom most layer was uncomfortable tulle. I wanted a big poofy frock and I actually think I over did it a bit.
To correct, I took out 3 inches from each side seam (for a total of 6). I added a ribbon to the hem of the top layer that was slightly smaller in diameter that the dress itself, which pulled it in and created a slight bubble effect.
I beaded both the yoke and portions of the bottom dress with some iridescent sequins and silver beads for added sparkle.
Tulle! Lots of it. Some layers were ‘bridal’ with dollops of shimmer. Satin lining. The yoke is a cotton material with a silver print.
Fashion & Trends
See 3 dresses in new prints perfect for this season's transitional weather, plus a chance to win!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
See what pattern Meg is "mashing up" and see how you can easily sew along too!
Pull inspiration from faraway cultures with this rustic, travel-ready collection.
Fashion & Trends
Looks from Dior, Lanvin, and Balmain.
Pattern of the Week
The heart-shaped neckline and matching belt with buckle give this dress that retro feel.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.