Added Jan 23, 2010
Brooklyn, New Yo...
Here she is! My Minna Dress. I wanted to make my new Years dress and I wanted something fun and simple. I was worried that velvet might not be too simple, but it actually didn’t pose too many added problems. I did hand baste the seams in advance to prevent slippage and I serged all the seam allowances in advance to keep everything tidy.
I cut a size 42 and tilted the pattern pieces out at the waist to give myself more of a 44 at the hips. The size turned out perfect for me. My only pattern comment is that the armholes are high up so there is NO need to adjust this area if you are someone who worries about gapping there.
I had a a bit of a challenge to decide on the neckline material. The pattern calls for lace trim, but the pattern piece is curved and after searching high and low throughout out the NYC garment district I have come to the conclusion that there are very few options for lace trim that will fit a curve. Unsatisfied but undeterred, I decided to come up with my own neckline construction solution using a silk charmuese backing for some mesh based trim. I’ve added the steps for my neckline for interested peoples. :)
Silk Rayon Velvet
Mesh & Sequins trim
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.