New Year's Coat 2013
Added Jan 6, 2013
I really wanted to make this coat based on Simplicity’s pattern #2057 for a year now. But I’ve been so intimidated by the amount of pieces and the expense of wool. Well, I found some faux wool at a good price although I wish I splurged on the real stuff. And, I had New Year’s day off. So, no excuses I had the fabric and the time.
The instructions are really clear but what really saved me was reading other people’s experiences with this pattern. They said they wished they cut it a size smaller because they really had to take it in. So I cut a size 6 and I’m pleased with the fit especially since I won’t need a belt to make it more flattering. Oh, and I cut the collar smaller otherwise it would’ve been too large for the coat.
This coat is lined except for the sleeves although that’s what the instructions called for. I just didn’t want the extra bulk in the arms because my arms already feel chunky.
It took me a week to finish this and I’m happy with that because I was worried it might take me a month. Even though this is not real wool I’m okay with it because it’s extremely warm and I can wash it in the washing machine. With wool I would have to dry clean or hand wash.
2.5 yards of “faux wool”, 8 one inch buttons, 1.5 yards of lining. thread, interfacing.