Added Sep 30, 2011
San Diego Area, ...
I made this costume to wear to Costume College, an annual costume convention.
This costume was made from Truly Victorian patterns. The bodice was a combination of a few of their patterns. Although I made this quite a while ago I believe I combined the 1880 Jacket Bodice pattern with the 1879 Curaiss Bodice pattern and lengthened the sleeves to long sleeves.
The overskirt was made with the 1880 Hermione Overskirt pattern and the underskirt was made from the 1878 Fantail Skirt pattern.
I started this project several years ago and got disgusted with it, so put it away in my closet and completely forgot about it until about a month before Costume College. I pulled it out and tried it on. At that time it was untrimmed. I did come up with my trims by using several antique black trims I had in my stash, including the fringe and the beaded appliques. The rest of the trims, including the looped edging and the velvet ribbon bands on the underskirt are new. The bodice and overskirt are made of silk dupioni. The underskirt is made of a faux silk taffeta. The buttons up the front are vintage. The revers on the bodice and the faux cuffs are stitched down accents from black velvet.
The hat, veil, and purse are antique.
In the end, I actually liked the way it turned out and I’m glad I revisited this project instead of just giving up on it and starting new :)
All black fabrics and trims.
Silk shantung, faux silk taffeta, vintage beaded trim, vintage fringe, vintage buttons, and the rest of the trims are new.
Our fabulous BurdaStylers of course! Today, save 30% Site-Wide With Code ThankYou14!
Satin takes the stage in this new collection of dresses, skirts, and fluttery tops.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.