Natty's Motorcycle Jacket
Added Jan 8, 2012
I made this wool motorcycle jacket back in November, but it gave me such a hard time that I’ve put off sharing it until now. For the pattern, I turned to my trusty BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook and followed the directions from Aicha’s variation of the coat.
The great thing about this jacket is that it’s made mostly from (big) scraps that were in my stash. I used this same gray wool for a men’s flannel shirt that I made a while ago and somehow I managed to squeeze out just the right amount from the leftovers. The lining and hidden inside pocket are made from the heart print cotton voile leftover from a recent top. I did have to venture out to the fabric store for the black wool rib knit, black snaps, and black jacket zipper.
The part of the jacket that gave me a hard time was the collar. I hadn’t used rib knit before and discovered that I need quite a bit of concentration and patience to sew it. In the end I conquered the rib knit, but the collar turned out a bit funky anyway. I swear I closely followed the directions for creating the collar pattern piece, yet it seems like it turned out too big. The jacket looks fine open, but the collar looks silly and floppy when it’s zipped up. Oh well!
Also on my blog! nattyjanesews.blogspot.com
Wool, wool rib knit, cotton voile, heavy duty snaps, and jacket zipper