Added Apr 27, 2012
This was my wedding dress and the only garment I ever made. I went through many, many, many errors. And because I could not get anymore of the same fabric, I had to work WITH the errors.
Still, I was surprised and happy to find out that I made a dress that actually fit me… And so happy and proud to look at the pictures and know it was really mine!
We got married in the country-side in a very simple setting, which is why I wanted something simple and made out of cotton (also, I prefer comfort over class, and we follow a rather “roots” lifestyle). My main designing concern was to hide any part of my body I did not want to see + try to make it look as if I have a waist line (which I don’t… but it worked very well although you can’t tell on these pics).
I worked with ichigogirl’s Tea Top pattern and mahaila’s 1/2 circle pattern, although I went wrong with both patterns, due to my lack of experience… I messed up the side seams for the Tea Top, and I messed up the skirt so it is actually less than a half-circle and it is crooked at the bottom! I used an invisible zipper located under the left arm.
More pictures on my photographer and friend’s blog: Julie Hagenbuch Photography
All project pictures are copyrighted by Julie Hagenbuch Photography
The dress is entirely made out of popeline cotton, double layer.
The lace is vintage dentelle du Puy (cotton), bought on eBay France.
The embroidery is hand made (outline stich and basic filling stich, vari-greens polyester thread).
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.