My wedding dress + BM dress
Added Aug 18, 2012
Surrey, United K...
I made both my wedding dress and the bridesmaid’s dress (and both bouquets, on the morning of the wedding day, would you believe?)
For my wedding dress, I used Simplicity 2959 as a starting point and made countless adjustments, eg altering the neckline, the silhouette (to make the skirt less full and more fitted around the wait to hips), adding a lace-up back, adding a corselette and a waist stay, adding bra cups, including a 1-tier French bustle, changing the pleats and adding a drape over the skirt, etc etc… I loved what I ended up with.
For the BM dress, I used Simplicity 4070 which worked a treat. I had to do a very wide hem (with ruffles to distribute the fullness evenly) to shorten the skirt. I did flatlining with a Hong Kong finish for the skirt which effectively underlines and finishes the seam in one, and added a waist stay.
I used silk dupion for both dresses, underlined with silk organza. I included spiral steel boning to both bodices which were very comfortable to wear all day.
It took me almost a year to finish both projects – mainly because of all the hand sewing! I hand overcast all the seams and then catchstitched all the seams on all 7 layers of my dress.
With hindsight, it was a very steep learning curve and a lot of work but I am so glad I chose to (and was brave enough to) make both dresses. It was a perfect day and I felt so special in my homemade dress (holding my DIY bouquet!).
For thousands more photos and lots more on how I made the dresses, please visit my blog
silk dupion, silk organza, silk habotai lining, spiral steel boning, covered steel boning, horsehair braid.