Added Sep 23, 2008
My Malissa contest entry! The changes I made were simple, but change the whole effect of the dress! It can be worn with or without the belt (although I personally like it without). I still plan to add binding to the neckline to add thickness to the straps. Neither the bubble hem or the sparkle is well showcased in these pics- it looks much better in person!
The changes I made were:
– Removing the sleeves and collar
– Shortening the skirt by about 8" (I’m 5’3")
– Adding about 7" of satin at the hem and attaching it to the seam to make a bubble
– Cutting out a circle in the back (while on the fold)
– Attempting to finish the armholes, neckline, and cutout using a rolled hem (which ended up being just turned under)
UPDATE: I submitted this for the DLD conference, so I made some changes to make it a little more finished. I added binding around the neck, armholes, and keyhole, and refinished the hem so that all the edges are hidden. New Pics!
Lightweight sparkly knit w/ 2-way stretch (Hobby Lobby), slightly stretchy satin (Walmart remnant), and ribbon.
Burdastyle for their great contests!
How to Grade, Draft, Design, and Sew!
Go far afield in wrap dresses, detailed jackets, and comfy separates for fall.
Comment To Win
Share your top fabric care tips for a chance to be in the magazine, and to get the issue for free!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's finished Mash Up project of her denim suit and see how you can sew along!
Fashion & Trends
Dress like your favorite heroine from Disney's Frozen.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.