Added Sep 23, 2008
My Malissa contest entry! The changes I made were simple, but change the whole effect of the dress! It can be worn with or without the belt (although I personally like it without). I still plan to add binding to the neckline to add thickness to the straps. Neither the bubble hem or the sparkle is well showcased in these pics- it looks much better in person!
The changes I made were:
– Removing the sleeves and collar
– Shortening the skirt by about 8" (I’m 5’3")
– Adding about 7" of satin at the hem and attaching it to the seam to make a bubble
– Cutting out a circle in the back (while on the fold)
– Attempting to finish the armholes, neckline, and cutout using a rolled hem (which ended up being just turned under)
UPDATE: I submitted this for the DLD conference, so I made some changes to make it a little more finished. I added binding around the neck, armholes, and keyhole, and refinished the hem so that all the edges are hidden. New Pics!
Lightweight sparkly knit w/ 2-way stretch (Hobby Lobby), slightly stretchy satin (Walmart remnant), and ribbon.
Burdastyle for their great contests!
See how Burda members are styling pants for summer.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up
See how one of our editors gets her inspiration.
Take off with pleats, cut-outs, insets, and futuristic prints.
Fashion & Trends
The best patterns and styling tips for this summer's top pants trend.
Pattern of the Week
A tank silhouette with elasticated waist is a carefree take on the Little Black Dress
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.