Added Sep 23, 2008
My Malissa contest entry! The changes I made were simple, but change the whole effect of the dress! It can be worn with or without the belt (although I personally like it without). I still plan to add binding to the neckline to add thickness to the straps. Neither the bubble hem or the sparkle is well showcased in these pics- it looks much better in person!
The changes I made were:
– Removing the sleeves and collar
– Shortening the skirt by about 8" (I’m 5’3")
– Adding about 7" of satin at the hem and attaching it to the seam to make a bubble
– Cutting out a circle in the back (while on the fold)
– Attempting to finish the armholes, neckline, and cutout using a rolled hem (which ended up being just turned under)
UPDATE: I submitted this for the DLD conference, so I made some changes to make it a little more finished. I added binding around the neck, armholes, and keyhole, and refinished the hem so that all the edges are hidden. New Pics!
Lightweight sparkly knit w/ 2-way stretch (Hobby Lobby), slightly stretchy satin (Walmart remnant), and ribbon.
Burdastyle for their great contests!
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
Stock up on our favorite BurdaStyle patterns sewn in white!
Learn How to Sew Knits Successfully With a Sewing Machine
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.