Added Nov 26, 2011
This is the third dress I made from Butterick 4790 (the “walkaway” dress), with a few adjustments to achieve a perfect fit. When viewing the main sample garment for the Butterick pattern on their website, I noticed that it looked quite a bit different than the original pattern cover from 1953! So I came up with a method for altering the tissue pattern to fit properly, and I’ve also discovered that any 50s dress looks much better with a crinoline and corset underneath! I’ve given complete instructions on my blog , and you can see many more pictures of this dress here
The front panel is a stretch matte satin from Telio & Cie fabrics, and the pink rayon crepe was purchased for $2.50 a yard!
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.