My "Mash-Up" Wrap Dress (Hope Wrap Dress/Newlook6674/McCalls...
Added Dec 5, 2009
I saw a lovely dress in a shop near where I live that was perfect for my friend’s wedding. But there was no way I was paying $200.00 for it, and the sleeves were a little short for my liking.
I then saw Erdronen’s lovely Hope Wrap Dress and received inspiration and encouragement from her! I based this wrap dress on her dress and the original Newlook pattern she worked with. I also wanted gathered sleeves and to have a matching silver band so I took the sleeve from the McCalls pattern and shortened it and made the band a bit bigger.
The black stretch knit was REALLY hard to work with as it required such a cool iron (I had to re-do the original bodice due to “shine” marks from the heat of the iron even though it was on a pretty cool setting – but not cool enough!). This made finishing the seams difficult as I generally like a nicely pressed seam. I am happy with the way it finished up – I was unsure how the knit would work with the stretch satin and how the McCalls sleeve would fit in with the Newlook pattern – but both worked well. I really like the length and shape of the sleeves – and everyone commented on how nice it looked!
I really tried using the twin-needle for the hem – but it didn’t work – mainly because I can’t adjust my bobbin tension – but thanks to EmilyKate and her video in the Technique section!
I made a size 10 bodice and a size 12 skirt – my husband said it fitted me very well!
As mentioned above, this dress is based on Hope Wrap Dress – but the “New Project” page won’t let me tick the box that says “Based On” or add the details for some reason . . . I’ve have to ask for help with that one. . . .
This is a black stretch knit with a stretch sliver satin as the contrast – as was the dress I saw in the shop.