Added May 25, 2008
Los Angeles, Cal...
I finally drummed up the courage to make a Kasia skirt…but of course not without my signature shortcuts. Hehe. Overall, it’s sort of a sloppy job, but I’m still proud of my first attempt!
I used some leftover fabric from my tunic dress (it was originally a bedsheet I found at the thrift shop) and some buttons stolen from a jacket that doesn’t fit me anymore. My characteristic laziness came into play when it came time to make buttonholes in the front panel…so I decided to use velcro. The buttons are purely decorative. Yes, yes — a VERY inelegant choice, but hey, it works and it’s well hidden! Oh, my mother would be so disappointed in me.
One problem that I encountered was with the gathered hip panels. I messed up here and ended up with two really poofy hip sections, so had to take some fabric out of these panels after the fact — hence the two extra horizontal seams at the sides. Also, my ridiculously crooked topstitching shows that I still have trouble sewing in a straight line. Well…even though it’s not the neatest job ever, the overall look is alright, I think. I’m glad to have finally made my first skirt and I can’t wait to try out this awesome pattern again! Don’t worry — next time I’ll make buttonholes and ditch the velcro. ;)
cotton thriftstore bedsheet
Kasia for such a terrific design!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
Three videos, a web seminar, and five patterns help you master stretchy stitching.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.