Added Feb 7, 2012
My first dress was made out of a vintage English bedsheet that I’d been using as a make-shift draft stopper. The centre of the bedsheet was all worn and faded so I used the four corners for my pattern pieces and made a chevron effect. The pattern I used was vintage Simplicity 7683 which I got for $4 from allsfairyvintage on Etsy. I used hand-me down polyester thread and needles from an old sewing kit and sewed the whole dress by hand. It took me about a week. I used a vintage covered button kit for the front placket.
Making this dress was a labour of love that and I proved to myself that I really wanted to sew my own clothes and this sewing this wasn’t just a passing phase. So I saved up and bought a sewing machine and have never looked back since.
Vintage cotton bedsheet
Vintage covered button kit
Fashion & Trends
Save 50% On 27 Stunning Dress Patterns with the code NYE2014!
Save 40% on some of our most stylish patterns with the code BOXING2014- 12/26/2014 Only!
Sew in the new year with patterns that were 'the' patterns 2014! (we are also putting them on sale)
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.