Added Feb 7, 2012
My first dress was made out of a vintage English bedsheet that I’d been using as a make-shift draft stopper. The centre of the bedsheet was all worn and faded so I used the four corners for my pattern pieces and made a chevron effect. The pattern I used was vintage Simplicity 7683 which I got for $4 from allsfairyvintage on Etsy. I used hand-me down polyester thread and needles from an old sewing kit and sewed the whole dress by hand. It took me about a week. I used a vintage covered button kit for the front placket.
Making this dress was a labour of love that and I proved to myself that I really wanted to sew my own clothes and this sewing this wasn’t just a passing phase. So I saved up and bought a sewing machine and have never looked back since.
Vintage cotton bedsheet
Vintage covered button kit
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
Fashion & Trends
See a few of our favorite looks, and the Burda patterns we're inspired to make!
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
Three videos, a web seminar, and five patterns help you master stretchy stitching.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.