Added Feb 7, 2012
My first dress was made out of a vintage English bedsheet that I’d been using as a make-shift draft stopper. The centre of the bedsheet was all worn and faded so I used the four corners for my pattern pieces and made a chevron effect. The pattern I used was vintage Simplicity 7683 which I got for $4 from allsfairyvintage on Etsy. I used hand-me down polyester thread and needles from an old sewing kit and sewed the whole dress by hand. It took me about a week. I used a vintage covered button kit for the front placket.
Making this dress was a labour of love that and I proved to myself that I really wanted to sew my own clothes and this sewing this wasn’t just a passing phase. So I saved up and bought a sewing machine and have never looked back since.
Vintage cotton bedsheet
Vintage covered button kit
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Check out Meg's finished Mash Up project of her denim suit and see how you can sew along!
Fashion & Trends
Dress like your favorite heroine from Disney's Frozen.
This web seminar will teach you tricks to sewing and cutting silk successfully!
See one of the techniques you'll learn in November's Fabric Design course.
Cozy scarf collars, dressed up sweats, and essential dresses.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.