Added Feb 7, 2012
My first dress was made out of a vintage English bedsheet that I’d been using as a make-shift draft stopper. The centre of the bedsheet was all worn and faded so I used the four corners for my pattern pieces and made a chevron effect. The pattern I used was vintage Simplicity 7683 which I got for $4 from allsfairyvintage on Etsy. I used hand-me down polyester thread and needles from an old sewing kit and sewed the whole dress by hand. It took me about a week. I used a vintage covered button kit for the front placket.
Making this dress was a labour of love that and I proved to myself that I really wanted to sew my own clothes and this sewing this wasn’t just a passing phase. So I saved up and bought a sewing machine and have never looked back since.
Vintage cotton bedsheet
Vintage covered button kit
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
Watch Meg's promo of our upcoming course! It is the future of at-home pattern drafting...
Pattern of the Week
The oversized shape has a cool bell shaped silhouette with a wide body and fitted sleeves
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.