Added Sep 3, 2011
I used fabric leftover from making a pair of pants for my husband to make my oldest some really cute shorts. I modified a Simplicity pajama pattern for the shorts and created pockets using Wild Ginger pattern software. The shorts are pull-on, with button hole elastic in the waist, topstitched details and pockets.
The top stitching is done by stitching twice over the same stitching line which also helps break up the pattern in the fabric a bit. I played with fabric grain lines to add some interest and break up the otherwise busy pattern of the fabric. The front pockets are cut on the bias while the bellows pockets on the back are cut on the cross-grain. The flaps of the back pockets snap closed. I put the back pockets low on the pants so that the snaps are out of the way when he sits which adds to the comfort.
Cotton ticking found at the discount table, plain ol’ cotton-poly thread. Bernina sewing machine.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.