Added Dec 13, 2009
Brooklyn, New Yo...
I’ve been wanting to try out the Malissa pattern for so long because of the raglan sleeve lines and the gathered cuff. However, the rest of the pattern gets a big fat F from me because I think it would make me look like a pregnant lamp shade….. still, it has such a great sleeve! So recently, I found this really crazy “knit” printed wool jersey for $2 a yard on 39th street so I figured this would be a good fabric to make working muslin for my trial Malissa.
Pattern modifications: Cut 17" from the bottom hem (no way was this wacky print going to work as a dress for me). Then, I eliminated all the front pleats (what’s the opposite of “slash and spread”?) by extending the lines of the pleats and then folding out the excess. To make sure I didn’t eliminate too much I placed the front pattern peice on my Lydia pattern to check the width at the bust waist and hips and it was fine. Then, I lengthened the bodice front and back 1", and the sleeves by 1".
Except for the hand gathered basting stitches for the sleeves, I sewed this entirely on my serger. I even used the serger to “blind hem” stitch the hem (first time I tried that function) and as you can see, it’s not blind. I think I’ll use the double needle top stitch next time, and there will be a next time! I am very happy with the fit of my modified pattern. I have some lovely solid wool jerseys in my stash that want to be cozy long sleeved tops.
Make something special and practical for your friends and family this holiday season!
Pattern of the Week
This slim-fit dress makes a perfect cocktail dress for this time of year!
Sweet dresses, an outfit for a doll, and cute embellishments are fun for the holidays!
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Straight Skirt, and how she made it look so yummy!
Member Project of the Week
The latest Elie Saab collection inspired this hand-beaded dress by chanel2005.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.