Modified dace dress
Added Aug 18, 2011
I fell in love with this one-piece by dace, a Canadian brand. (In fact, I love a ton of their stuff, you need to check out their collections.) I wanted to be able to wear it to work so I decided to make it into a dress rather than a romper.
I started off using Simplicity 2227 again, which I have already used for this pair and this pair of shorts. This time, I used the bodice portion only. I had to do a lot of fittings with the pleats first to make it look less rounded than the pattern, I wanted that straight-across shape across the chest. I really really wished I had a body form when I was doing the fittings.
Then I finished off the waist and skirt portion using the now discontinued Simplicity 2403 because I wanted to make a pleated skirt with pockets like the romper, which I also used to make this shirt dress. In hindsight, I wish I made it with a fuller skirt, like a circle skirt.
I modified the back of the dress by using simple exposed buttons to make the back more interesting. I love the puffy bodice and the dusty gray tencel material, which is very soft. I’ve worn this dress many times now and no one can guess that I made it myself.