Added Apr 4, 2011
Cedar City, Utah...
I was asked to participate in The Sew Weekly’s Common Thread series and this is the project that I came up with for it. It was a challenge for me since it was based around the idea that I had to incorporate a trim into the sewing of a garment, which is actually a rarity for me. I wanted a belt involved somewhere in the project so I took the idea back to my pattern stash and found the Heidi dress from here on Burda Style. Then it all fell together, though I’m still somewhat surprised by the result.
I’ve had the floral silk shantung in my stash for some time now and had always wanted some sort of dress from it. I bought it on an outrageous sale and think it’s meant to be a home dec fabric. Putting the lace up (from the Common Thread project series) against it really grabbed me. But then of course, I had to make it pop somehow especially with a color that really copper-tones up my hair. The chartreuse isn’t even a color in the floral fabric, but that’s the beauty of it I think. Completely artistic.
I made a few alterations to the pattern itself, lengthening the torso since mine is abnormally long, plus widening the hip and bringing up the neckline a bit as the original was too low for me and on the verge of looking unsavory. I incorporated the lace into the neckline and the pocket openings while also using the chartreuse dupioni as an added bias trim which I non traditionally used with the raw edges facing out, as its something I’ve always wanted to do. The belt I went off a little in my own direction for. It hit me one night that I should make the back a lace up to add more to the modern geisha effect. To finish it off I made a silk flower from the lining and gave it a little lace trim decadence. The end result is terribly comfortable with all the romance of a beautiful spring day when the cherry blossoms are in full bloom.
silk shantung, crepe de chine, dupioni silk, eyelets, invisible zipper, lace trim, grosgrain ribbon