Added Apr 12, 2014
This was probably a bit more than I am ready for. I had bought a few new patterns from Lekala and needed to chose which to make (btw they are fab custom made patterns and downloadable – great as I live in Rwanda so can’t buy patterns locally!)
In hindsight, I probably should have attempted something a little easier…
This had lots of things I had not done before including being lined in the bodice; having a separate waist panel, a split in the skirt at the rear and a collar (which needed fitting in the lining and bodice – a bit different from the first Partly Sunny frock that I did). It was supposed to have a keyhole opening in the neckline but I opted against it (very pleased about that with all the other issues I encountered. I think I may have given up!)
Anyway – I have learned a few things for next time. I managed the lining but I should just have taken the time to read my book about how to do it simply (I made it far harder than it needed to be and as a result it has caused a few issues near the collar where I have a bit of extra main fabric). I had not properly marked some of the waist band markings and first had then on upside down. When I corrected that I still really didn’t like the look of the waistband. Maybe it was the material (supposed to be linen type and I used a thick cotton woven fabric). Anyway – it just looked strange. So I then created darts in the panel to match the bodice and skirt darts. Much happier with it now.
This is Lekala 4276 only I did a contrast colour waistband as I like colour block dresses! http://www.lekala.co/catalog/dresses/4276#model
You could win a social spotlight or full year subscription.
Featuring great prizes and the Magic Pattern Book.
Take a peek at the new How-To page
ALL about Etsy
How to take your Etsy Shop to the Next Level: Boost Traffic and Sales
Pattern of the Week
This dress may have a simple silhouette but it consists of many panelled seams!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.