Added Nov 10, 2012
This is the best costume I’ve ever made. It was also the most time consuming. Everyone who had seen Beetlejuice knew who I was.
The fabric is from JoAnn’s. It’s lined with some clearance satin since the top fabric was very slippy and thin. The dress is frankened from two patterns. I used Kwik Sew 3850. I rounded out where the straps were supposed to be and used some bra straps from a $5 bra I cut up. I attached the skirt from Simplicity’s 2176. I gathered the skirt instead of doing pleats to save time.
My brother and dad helped me with the wire frame for the cape. I believe they used some wire from a construction type store and brazed the ends together. I hot glued fabric to the frame and glittered the edges to cover up the glue. For the cape part, I gathered up two layers of organza until it was about the right size. I used a roller foot for the hem.
I had to hand sew the cape to the frame. I then reglittered over the stitches to hide them. I sprayed some Krylon glitter spray paint to the outside of the cape to give it some shimmer. If you can find pre-glittered organza, I would recommend using it. I sewed snaps to the wire frame and on the straps to attach the cape. The entire cape set up was the hardest and most time consuming part of the costume.
The wig was styled into a high pony tail. Stupid bobby pins wouldn’t stay in place. The sash is just some bridal ribbon with a computer printed Iron On. I used Krylon Aquacolor body paint in Teal. It stayed on pretty well but you really couldn’t touch fabric or some would rub off. It did wash off very easily with soap and water (off me and the costume). I found some teal tights online that matched the paint.
Sewing & Techniques
Say goodbye to skipped stitches and damaged seams!
Fashion & Trends
Flaunt those curves in Kim-approved bombshell looks.
50 Select Red, White, and Blue patterns are 50% off!
Meg got an inside look into our new course, and see why she thinks you need to register too!
Leopard print, stripes, and mod coats for fall.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.