Added Mar 25, 2013
Charlotte Hall, ...
I made this dress using material I bought at a thrift store for less than $1. It appeared to have been cut away from a longer curtain of some sort. The top was clearly cut by pinking shears. It had a hem on the bottom with weights at the corners, and each edge was finished. I had to take apart the hem and sides to get some extra inches of width and length.
I was a bit disappointed that I couldn’t match up the mushrooms in a chevron in the front and back of the skirt, but I just didn’t have enough material. I squeezed this dress out of less than three yards of 33″ wide material. Plus, the material was seamed in the middle and the rows on the two pieces didn’t match up.
I used the same pattern I used to make my Daydreamer Dress last year, but I made some tweaks. The biggest changes I made were eliminating the need for elastic at the top of the bodice, making the vertical bodice darts into tucks, and opting for regular rather than crisscross straps.
There are more changes that I need to make to this pattern for future makes, but you can see the list of those on my blog post. Also, if you are interested in more details and/or pictures, please see this post.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
No need to go outside… spend the morning in dolled up in this collection of vintage style pajamas.
BurdaStyle Magazine US
Get an inside look at the patterns from the first 4 issues of BurdaStyle US
As an early special Black Friday promotion you can now enroll in the course ($80 value) for $49.99!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.