Added Jul 31, 2010
Montego Bay, Jam...
I had a employee trip that I as planning on going on and we were going to hit the beach so I needed a bathing suit. I made 2 in the past but they no longer fit and I walked around a bit to see if I saw any I might buy that was reasonably priced AND fit but of course I found none.
I always wanted a nice 1-piece and always loved this type of style. I had the turquoise material for a while now, I initially used it to make a long sleeve shrug and had lots left over and I knew one day, it would be a bathing suit.
I first drafted a pattern using a bodice block blouse I created using a stretch t-shirt I owned. I used this block as a guide to draft any tops that I might make from stretch material. I actually used my own panties to draft the bottom side of the bathing suit. Once I created the pattern, I tested it on some cheap stretch knit that I didn’t love and wasn’t planning on making anything with.
I had to make adjustment to the waist section that had the ring on the side and bring it up higher, I also had to make the crotch section narrower. The keyhole at the center front was smaller and I made that a little larger. If I choose to do it in another fabric, I would add 1" at the top section that joins the part to cover my bust and the torso, I would also remove 1" from the bottom of the bust section. Doing this will give my bust area more support but overall, I’m glad how it came out.
I added elastic around the edges to make it fit properly. To ensure both layers of material kept in place while I stitched the elastic, I first stitched the layers down about 1/4" from the edge and then another stitch close to the edge it self, that makes 2 rows, then the material stays put while you run the elastic. I used my zig-zag feature for this, dont own a serger yet. I had to zig-zag about 3-4 times to make sure it was secure.
(The elastic around the backside looks bungled but actually fits well on my bum)
It took me 2 weeks to draft the pattern, create and sew the block and then complete the bathing suit. It was a lesson in patience trust me but by browsing other sewing profiles, I saw where practically everybody drafted a “muslin” first and then made necessary corrections and then completed the garment. At one point I would have said that was too much work but then I have lot of stuff that I spoiled because of my impatience so I’m now glad I have a bathing suit to be extremely proud of :]
Next up, beach cover up….
Turquoise stretch with nude lining.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up!
Check out Meg's latest mash up of our Straight Skirt, and how she made it look so yummy!
Member Project of the Week
The latest Elie Saab collection inspired this hand-beaded dress by chanel2005.
Celebrate with lovely dresses, sparkly dolman tees, and an embellished peplum skirt.
This week’s new BurdaStyle Videos release is "Sewing a Thread-Chain Belt Loop." Check it out!
Comment to Win
Tell us what's on your wishlist to win this exciting software package!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.