Member Model Challenge Spotty Pleated designer dress
Added May 18, 2014
So this is my first finished Burda pattern! (I had started another bombshell dress but am struggling on the bodice). I have had a fair few ups and downs – mainly since my machine kept getting stuck in stretch stitch! Ahhhhh!
Anyway – this is a size 36 on the top part and a 38 on the bottom. I tapered the top bodice to reach the same dimensions as the 38 at the bottom part where it meets the skirt.
After being meticulous about my pattern matching and cutting on the front pieces and the skirt, I then just didn’t think when cutting the back bodice parts. When I sewed it up, the spots were about a half a circle ‘off’ and it looked very odd. Luckily there was some give in the waist and I was able to move it along the half circle needed just in the fitting process. I am particularly pleased with the way that the back seam came out below the zip – you can hardly tell that there is a seam when it is worn.
I used binding tape on the arms which I hope is allowed (another member asked and was given the go ahead so fingers crossed). I had also struggled as you cannot find concealed zips in Rwanda. Funnily enough the one I found has a Mercedes symbol for the puller -hilarious! I also used the binding tape to finish the hem and on the facing back.
The material is another super find. Only one market seller had this one. It is the same fabric as another dress I made only the background is purple not white.
I love the pattern – may make it again with long sleeves though as I think that will give it a business edge.
I’ve updated my pictures as I noticed all the other contestants had really professional looking ones. These are about the best I can manage here with my little camera! I’ve also now included a few more close ups for construction shots
Cotton with a little stretch