Added Mar 7, 2010
Here’s my attempt on the Melissa Dress. I also have the impression – as already mentioned – that the blouse part is too big/wide in the pattern. Although I lengthened the front part for in sum 1 cm (I thought my breasts will need that ;-) I think it was necessary to lengthen it, but still I have the impression when wearing it that it’s a hint too wide. So I could imagine (I just guess since I am not an expert) to either make one or two darts out of the pleads (so the fabric cannot give way anymore) or to lengthen the pleads. Do you think that would work? I’ll try it the next time I’m going to sew the Melissa. I think I am going to make a dressy/evening version as well.
I didn’t change the back part of the blouse and I think it’s a little bit too wide – although you can’t see that on the pictures.
My blouse part is made of non-stretchable cotton… In the middle of the project I got afraid since I realised that maybe I would need a zipper or at least a button in order to be able to get into the dress ;-) But thanks god that wasn’t necessary. It’s absolutely no problem, there’s enough room to get in without ripping any seams! :-)
blue and grey jersey; cotton (Toile de Jouy)
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.