Added Mar 3, 2010
by Ed Mannarino
Seneca, South Ca...
Ok peeps, I got tired of making sleepwear, which you all know is fairly easy. I wanted to take a stab at something a little more intricate. I came across this pattern vintage pattern in a thrift store, Mccalls 9550.
I contains a pattern for womans cullotes, a cape and slacks. I decided to tackle the cape. I also found the fabric in a thrift store as well , and I purchased the lining fabric at Walmart. I started the cape by cutting out the pattern and the fabric. A few days later, I decided to start assembling it, unfortunately, I started to come down with a cold and I was starting to think I had gotten in over my head. I realized this when I came to the part of the collar. I decided to put it down.
I came back to it 3 weeks later after I decided not to scrap it. I redone the collar, it went together perfect, I lined it, pressed it. The armholes and the collar all had to be slipped stitched, I added the buttonholes and buttons
I invested in a tailors ham, which turned out to be a wise choice. I pressed it and shaped the collar.
Although, it does have some errors, I am pleased with the end results.
Please feel free , I would love to hear your feedback
cotton blend, rayon for lining, buttons, fusible interfacing
Burda Style Videos
Help us count down our TOP 10 most popular videos and get inspired!
Meg got an inside look into our new course, and see why she thinks you need to register too!
Leopard print, stripes, and mod coats for fall.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this step-by-step tutorial on how to sew these overalls with a modern twist!
This course will guide you through the process of creating an 8-piece Lingerie Collection!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.