Added Feb 19, 2012
London, United K...
A pattern from the 40s, I’m guessing just after WWII, but it doesn’t say. There’s a little note inside explaining that the unprinted pattern is ‘due to current circumstances’.
I made a mix of sleeves A and B, keeping the length of A, but the volume of B, I was worried I’d look a bit too much like I was drowning in fabric. The cut of this blouse is pretty billowy to say the least, and there’s much more ease than I need or want in the bodice, I find it strange how fitted it is around the hips. I lengthened the waist by 3 inches, as is standard with me, and I omitted the shoulder pads.
Overall, it was a nice thing to make, it came together pretty easily, despite the sparse instructions. I underlined it with a silk/cotton mix, my first time properly underlining something. I took a strange pleasure from this, there was something really nice about the flimsy shell becoming a nice smooth fabric to sew with the addition on the underlining.
I should add that the bottom hem is actually straight, although it doesn’t look that way in the back photo!
I think will make this again, although view C with the short sleeves. As much as I love a dramatic sleeve, it’s just not practical and won’t fit under cardigan sleeves. I’ll also reduce the space in the upper bodice so it’s a little bit more fitted.
I’m not convinced this blouse is very ‘me’, as they say, but I’m sure I’ll give it a go come summer.
Vintage cotton voile, silk/cotton blend for underlining, buttons from my nana’s stash.
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
The lines of Greek architecture inspire this neutral and pastel collection.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.