Added Feb 19, 2012
London, United K...
A pattern from the 40s, I’m guessing just after WWII, but it doesn’t say. There’s a little note inside explaining that the unprinted pattern is ‘due to current circumstances’.
I made a mix of sleeves A and B, keeping the length of A, but the volume of B, I was worried I’d look a bit too much like I was drowning in fabric. The cut of this blouse is pretty billowy to say the least, and there’s much more ease than I need or want in the bodice, I find it strange how fitted it is around the hips. I lengthened the waist by 3 inches, as is standard with me, and I omitted the shoulder pads.
Overall, it was a nice thing to make, it came together pretty easily, despite the sparse instructions. I underlined it with a silk/cotton mix, my first time properly underlining something. I took a strange pleasure from this, there was something really nice about the flimsy shell becoming a nice smooth fabric to sew with the addition on the underlining.
I should add that the bottom hem is actually straight, although it doesn’t look that way in the back photo!
I think will make this again, although view C with the short sleeves. As much as I love a dramatic sleeve, it’s just not practical and won’t fit under cardigan sleeves. I’ll also reduce the space in the upper bodice so it’s a little bit more fitted.
I’m not convinced this blouse is very ‘me’, as they say, but I’m sure I’ll give it a go come summer.
Vintage cotton voile, silk/cotton blend for underlining, buttons from my nana’s stash.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.