Added Aug 9, 2012
New South Wales,...
I made this McCall’s bikini from a pattern I bought in December.
I used a 4-way stretch fabric I purchased from eBay for US$8 per yard. I bought 1 yard of this fabric and have enough left over to make at least another bikini – maybe in a different style.
My pattern review:
- The 4 way stretch fabric was perfect for this project. It was surprisingly easy to sew with and didn’t slip at all. It wasn’t slippery against the elastic either.
- I used lingerie cups (swimwear approved) for the bikini top which I would recommend to all small chested ladies, as it creates a nice shape for the bandeau top.
- I altered the back of the bandeau top. The instructions told me to sew the back together, the result being a bikini top you had to slip over your head. Not for me. Instead I took inspiration from Seafolly swimwear and cut the back band so it became a narrow point and sewed in some plastic clips so it clips together at the back. This worked brilliantly.
- The bottoms were cut quite well. The back piece definitely has enough coverage (which I was a tad concerned about because I am pear shaped after all) everything stays in place back there!
- The biggest plus – it fits perfectly and when worn, does not look handmade at all! Saved myself $140 making these!
- The elastic was tricky to work with. What I found hard was stretching the elastic evenly as I sewed it on. This resulted in the elastic appearing to bunch at different spots. When worn however, this is not evident at all and the elastic and fabric is stretched evenly across the body and looks really smooth.
- I tried to be clever and sew the bottoms together in a different order than the instructions, and this resulted in side seams that are not quite perfect.
My verdict – A seriously awesome pattern for anyone wanting to make a bikini. I had this made within half a day, and it looks really cute on! Next time I am at the beach I might even take a picture for you all.
Follow me at:
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Take a look at Meg's 2014 Mash Ups, and get the special pattern bundle that includes them all
Register today and get 20% off with a coupon code
Join Meg Healy in this 6 Week Course, we have just re-opened enrollment for a limited time!
Check out the top four finalists, and vote on your favorite dress
Check out these new 2015 patterns and cozy up to these wintery designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.