Added Sep 14, 2011
This isn’t so much a straight-up sewing project, but I felt it would appeal to a few of you (hopefully!!)! I recently was asked to participate in a collective refashioning project by Portia of the Miss P blog . The premise was to take a mystery (thrift store) garment she sent me, and rework it. The challenge would be taking something ho-hum and making it into a garment I’d be excited to wear! I was sent a rather dowdy floral suit, several sizes too large. However, having been on a bit of a 1940s “make do and mend” kick lately, I was inspired by the idea of completely refitting the suit and making it into a cute 40s-inspired number. (Note: in the “before” picture below, I added a few clothespins to the suit to get it to fit my dressform a bit better—it was far too big!)
I’ve gone over some of my details in the post I wrote for Portia’s blog here , but a quick break-down:
- refit the jacket completely, including removing the original sleeves, recutting those and sewing them back in. I also eliminated the original pockets and sewed those shut (the placement would have been grossly off when the jacket was refit).
- cut a new neckline that was distinctly inspired by the 40s.
- added some snazzier buttons; two vintage glass ones from my stash.
- added a bow to the neckline I made from what was originally the jacket collar!
- recut the skirt into a shorter a-line style; refit the waistband too.
I love how it came out—definitely am going to be wearing this over the last few weeks of September while I can still get away with it! I’m really inspired now to tackle a few more 40s-inspired “make do and mend” projects. Because as much as I love sewing a dress from start to finish, sometimes it’s just as enjoyable (and challenging!) to rework something with a few well-placed stitches and seams to bring it back to life.
Be sure to stop by my blog !
Our fabulous BurdaStylers of course! Today, save 30% Site-Wide With Code ThankYou14!
Satin takes the stage in this new collection of dresses, skirts, and fluttery tops.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.