Added Jun 17, 2010
Mc Kinney, Texas...
My son is working as a lifeguard at a boyscout camp and once a week the lifeguards are required to dress up as pirates. He asked me if I could come up with a pirate costume for him. I started with an old vest pattern (McCall’s 7817) I had made for my husband. The fun part was that I used leftover drapery fabric, leftover quilt binding, and old buttons so it cost me nothing. I did not line or face the vest because it hot and it’s a costume. Using the quilt binding seems to provide the structure that a facing would give. I reinforced behind the buttonholes and buttons with interfacing. I cut the seam allowance off the vest because I was binding it. I am not happy with buttonhole placement. They are too far in. I am still trying to figure out how my buttonholer works.
I used leftover cotton chintz drapery fabric. It is burgundy and gold and has a chinoiserie theme. The binding is gold cotton batik with burgundy specks. I have a friend who gives me all her leftover quilt binding and my intention is to use it on clothing as much as possible.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.