Liz Lemon Blouse
Added Mar 19, 2010
Brooklyn, New Yo...
This is my second time making this pattern. The first one fell apart because I only pinked the seam allowances….. just so you know, pinking is NOT a finishing technique I would recommend. Now that I have a serger I decided to give this another go.
Likes: the fabric! Lemon yellow 100% cotton shirting fabric from MOOD… I think it was $10 a yard and I got 1-2 yards (can’t remember at the moment, but I have a sizeable remnant). I love yellow so at the moment I am pretty happy regardless of some obvious issues:
Dislikes: I don’t like the large oddly shaped front facing. Since the facing is interfaced it is completely visible through the shirting fabric, meaning that I HAVE to wear an undershirt which is so not the point here. Also, the back is long directly across upper back… see how it bunches. (Is this what everyone over on pattern review refers to as a “sway back”? I’ve never heard that phrase used in a fitting or in school – anyone?) And my least favorite thing about this is that the pattern is NOT NESTED, so it’s not really possible to blending between sizes.As far as my workmanship goes; there is some puckering over the bust curves, and I really should have added another button at the bottom since the last one is almost 2 inches over my jeans waistband. The hip is a little snug on me so this makes the front scissor out. I also somehow managed to take unequal hem allowances at the CF so the bottoms are not quite the same length; they’re about 1/8th off which bugs me. AND last but not least the 4th button placement is wonky and needs to be re-sewn.
Hindsight being 20/20: I would recommend drastically reducing the front facing. I would say make it a regular button front shirt placket about 1.25 – 1.5” wide. I would add a 7th button at the bottom and for my personal fit I’d add ¼” to the front & back side seams at the bottom hem and blend to waist.
100% cotton shirting (Mood), 6 plastic 1/2" buttons (Pacific Trim)