Added Jan 4, 2012
Melbourne , Aust...
I’ve been eye-ing off this project for a while but never had the right fabric. I finally found some gorgeous red cotton sateen (which is what most store bought dress are made of) and decided to give it a go. This is my first clothing project ever and if you are nervous about giving it ago don’t be! It was quite simple. The only problem I had was with the skirt. I tried gathering it, pleating it, scrunching it but in the end I had 2 hours to go before I had to be at a party so I kind of did both – pleating and gathering. When I make my next one I’ll probably use the free Marie pattern skirt that’s here on Burdastyle.I also brought the back pieces up above the modest pattern cut, curved the top pieces of the bodice so I wouldn’t have a line right across my bust, added a waistband and some pockets to the skirt. I was a bit too lazy to attach piping to the top part of the bodice to conceal the raw edge so I just cut 2 pieces of the top part of the bodice instead. Can’t wait to try it again.
Blogged about it here: http://mel-allwrappedup.blogspot.com/2012/01/contour-bust-dress-review.html
Sewing & Techniques
Our popular swimsuit sloper is now available in PLUS size!
Member Project of the Week
Carlotta-Stermaria's ruffled dress is ready for wedding season.
Check out this sneak peel of this Thursday's live web seminar
Chat sewing inspiration with the instructor behind our mood board and fashion design course!
Enter to win weekly drawings and a fabulous grand prize!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.