Added Jan 17, 2012
This fabric takes honours as one of the few pieces I actually cut into within a week after purchase. I really wanted a top, and wanted to showcase this gorgeous pattern. There was only a metre of the fabric however.
I did think about it for it a fair bit (a week’s worth of travel time, shower time and dream time surely counts) but couldn’t come up with anything better than this. Maybe there’s just a problem with my imagination.
I based this on a shift dress pattern and had a grand time fitting and fitting the back darts to give it a bit of shape. I have quite a swayback, but I managed to make it fit quite well at the back (even Mr Tropical agreed!) so I’m proud of myself.
I had to figure out the knotted-neck-hole thing myself. I was ambitious and wanted to line it and all with contrasting melon fabric, which turned out to be a bit too much for my low skillz! But oh well, I think it looks okay.
I did take pics of the whole process so if anyone is interested in making a similar one (less the contrast strip, since mine turned out sucky) and wants to see my clunky inelegant method, let me know and I’ll post.
More details here
1 metre quilting cotton
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
Make these brand new blouses and dresses in candy colored silk.
Sewing & Techniques
Check out this guide all about mini closure solutions!
Take a trip down the aisle in these gorgeous gowns, or change the fabrics for a spring party dress.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.