Added Jan 17, 2012
This fabric takes honours as one of the few pieces I actually cut into within a week after purchase. I really wanted a top, and wanted to showcase this gorgeous pattern. There was only a metre of the fabric however.
I did think about it for it a fair bit (a week’s worth of travel time, shower time and dream time surely counts) but couldn’t come up with anything better than this. Maybe there’s just a problem with my imagination.
I based this on a shift dress pattern and had a grand time fitting and fitting the back darts to give it a bit of shape. I have quite a swayback, but I managed to make it fit quite well at the back (even Mr Tropical agreed!) so I’m proud of myself.
I had to figure out the knotted-neck-hole thing myself. I was ambitious and wanted to line it and all with contrasting melon fabric, which turned out to be a bit too much for my low skillz! But oh well, I think it looks okay.
I did take pics of the whole process so if anyone is interested in making a similar one (less the contrast strip, since mine turned out sucky) and wants to see my clunky inelegant method, let me know and I’ll post.
More details here
1 metre quilting cotton
It's time to enter for our grand prize, an EX100 machine PLUS a trip to Nashville!
Pattern of the Week
A body skimming shift goes mod with graphic stripes and square neckline!
Three videos, a web seminar, and five patterns help you master stretchy stitching.
Try out menswear inspired wardrobe staples, like unconventional jackets and high waisted pants.
Find full size patterns for these, and other gorgeous styles in the spring issue!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.