Added Oct 2, 2008
London, United K...
I’ve had this jacket pattern for a while and after posting a question about it on the forum here I decided to go ahead and make it. As soon as JJ suggested high-waist trousers they had to be Bellas. I wanted to make the suit in linen, but couldn’t decide on a colour. My sister (an art student) immediately suggested teal and that was it. I could see the finished thing in my head. I spent most of my sewing time over the summer making it and I am pretty pleased with the result. It could have done with a little bit more ease in a couple of places, but the fitting’s not bad.
The jacket I made as per the instructions with bound seams, organza interfacing and covered poppers (snaps). The construction was fine, but if you are bothered about the pleats at the back looking perfect I wouldn’t make this pattern in linen. To tie the trousers with the jacket I made a covered fly and also used bounds seams and organza interfacing. I found I needed a bit of light boning on either side of the fly to hold it’s shape. The most worrying bit of the process was taking it to the dry cleaners. Was I paying someone to wreck my hours of hard work? Thankfully they did a good job.
I’m not sure how much this will be worn as a suit as I have a silk dress in progress to go with the jacket and the trousers actually look better teamed with a blouse and tank top. Time will tell.
Silk Organza Interfacing
JJ for the inspiration on the trousers.
My sister for the colour.
Find out more about our three fabulous courses starting this week!
Choose from one of 5 popular dresses.
Member Project of the Week
Kick off party dress season with this cute greenery covered dress.
See Meg's picks and get them at a special price with an extra discount for Black Friday
Sewing & Techniques
See how Meg made this edgy dress using the Janome Artistic Edge Digital Cutter!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.