Added Nov 18, 2012
I can’t entirely claim this as a ‘new’ project, given the only things I did on it in the last five years were to sew the hem and the red sash. I’d made all the rest of it years ago, but wasn’t completely satisfied. The pattern is Butterick 4513, one of their retro rereleased patterns, and I’m not sure if it’s just the fact that the pattern is from 1957, or if they’ve done something weird in resizing it, but I didn’t like how the bodice sat. It’s a bit loose (late 50s – maybe I’m meant to wear a bullet bra with it?), and I might take it in later, I’m not sure. The back is elasticated and there is bias binding around the bodice edges and then tying at the shoulders. The dress has a lot of fabric in it – a hem circumference of 5 1/2 metres, but it’s light fabric so it’s not too hot to wear.
The photos were taken at Harvest festival in an art installation: a house made out of turf – hence the name of the project.
5 metres lawn cotton
1 metre heavy cotton
Save 40% on some of our most stylish patterns with the code BOXING2014
Sew in the new year with patterns that were 'the' patterns 2014! (we are also putting them on sale)
Member Project of the Week
She modified this coat wonderfully by adding length and changing the pockets and collar
Congratulations to addiemiller22 for winning, and now being the face of our Cascade Designer Dress!
Flaunt your sewing skills as well as your fab fashion sense in these modern, head-turning designs
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.