Added Nov 18, 2012
I can’t entirely claim this as a ‘new’ project, given the only things I did on it in the last five years were to sew the hem and the red sash. I’d made all the rest of it years ago, but wasn’t completely satisfied. The pattern is Butterick 4513, one of their retro rereleased patterns, and I’m not sure if it’s just the fact that the pattern is from 1957, or if they’ve done something weird in resizing it, but I didn’t like how the bodice sat. It’s a bit loose (late 50s – maybe I’m meant to wear a bullet bra with it?), and I might take it in later, I’m not sure. The back is elasticated and there is bias binding around the bodice edges and then tying at the shoulders. The dress has a lot of fabric in it – a hem circumference of 5 1/2 metres, but it’s light fabric so it’s not too hot to wear.
The photos were taken at Harvest festival in an art installation: a house made out of turf – hence the name of the project.
5 metres lawn cotton
1 metre heavy cotton
We're taking a sneak peak at the upcoming fashion design course.
This classic autumn collection has designs inspired by the Scottish countryside.
Meg's Magazine Mash Up 2014
Sew with Meg & see her final steps in sewing the cape & also see a sneak peek of Meg's new course!
Member Project of the Week
Check out this preppy fall style.
Read this funny post and watch the video to learn more about why this web seminar is great for you!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.