Added Jul 29, 2011
On days when I get bored or frustrated with knitting, I turn to my other hobbies. I think I made this at some point in the past couple of weeks when I needed a break from sewing a jacket I’m also working on.
I bought one yard of this fabric probably a couple of years ago when I was just starting to learn how to sew. It’s very lightweight and the print is cute. Of course, because of those two reasons (and because I couldn’t come up with what to make) it’s been sitting in a pile waiting for its moment to shine. So on a Tuesday (it was probably not at all a Tuesday, but moving on) I decided that the wait is over and took some scissors to it.
I’ll have to say that the majority of the time I do not sew with a pattern. My degree of success varies, but in time I’ve gotten better with practice at basic techniques and my experiments progressed in the most pleasing directions. For example: here are some words of advice I can offer to a novice or a self-learner that wants to learn to sew by cutting a piece of fabric however he/she wants, stitching it and wearing right away (basically what’s happening in these photos).
An easy way to make gathers as seen on the sleeve/neckline is to stitch along the seam line in a very long stitch. I did this in a contrasting thread. Then you pull on one of the ends so that the fabric gathers. Pin it to the ungathered piece (or I guess you could sew two gathered pieces together if you want, it would be more difficult to keep it even) and sew together.
By the way I must also mention that having a serger is the best thing since sliced bread. That’s basically what I used for 90% of this construction, the other 10% being 5 regular sewing machine and 5 hand stitching.
The style is cool and sporty beach wear that can be worn anywhere!
Pattern of the Week
This pencil skirt is perfect for everyday wear! We love it in floral.
This collection will make you shine in front of the camera!
Member Project of the Week
Get inspired by printed floral bustier dress with flounce! It is so summery.
DIY to Try
Make yourself a lovely hair band this spring!
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.