Added Apr 23, 2010
Hythe, Kent, Uni...
For this dress i used a simple pattern for a bustier top and then added my own design for the skirt.
the details on the dress were made by cutting out flower shapes and burning the edges – a technique i read about on burdastyle by “staciegrissom” (http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/andy-warhol-flower-skirt). Although she advises using plasticky and fake fabrics rather than natural ones (which i found out to be very good advise XD), i used cotton which when burnt smelt disgusting and also set off my smoke alarm a few time. The outcome looked good but unlike the flowers shown on the link, the fabric doesnt crinkle up and also stinks of smoke so it is a good idea to soak them a couple of times before sewing onto a garment.
i sewed on 23 sets of these flowers onto the dress and embellished them with buttons and beads and then stitched over a vine shape over the flowers to hold them up.
buttons and beads
Behind the seams with Marina von Koenig Part 2
Get all 11 of these retro inspired patterns for one low price!
Pattern of the Week
Hippie meets grunge in this plaid top with flared sleeves and a round neckline.
Leopard and snakeskin are the new neutrals.
Member Project of the Week
Peneloping's hand beaded frock is a real stunner.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.