Added Jan 24, 2013
Austin, Texas, U...
I made this dress for Halloween in 2012. I used the Simplicity Pattern 8399.
The burgundy fabric is actually a red/black 2 toned netting sari I ordered from India (much cheaper that way but the wait was painful).
The pattern was easy to follow. I did change how i added the sash as I used velvet which would have been too thick to follow their directions and I wanted a detachable train.
The train is the beautiful embroidered portion of the sari. So all I did was put a few pleats into the raw edge of the train and hand stitched on snaps. Then put the snaps in corresponding locations above the velvet waist sash.
I styled it with elbow length black gloves and a long black and clear jeweled necklace.
Black organza for the over shirt portion of the dress
Sari for the skirt and train
Burgundy red satin for the underskirt and main part of the bodice
Black velvet for the waist sash
Design your own dresses with the latest special price technique kit.
Check out these new costume sewing patterns for the whole family!
Member Project of the Week
EstherMarguerite modified this halter style with straps and a fun Hawaiian print.
4 weekly drawings, including a Grand Prize valued at more than $4,000!
Sign up for Meg Healy's tailoring course, now until 10/7.
You must allow our "request for permission" request to login to Burdastyle with Facebook.