Lady Grey's 21st Century Travel Skirt
Added Oct 25, 2011
I’ve been a member for years but have never actually taken the time to upload anything. It felt fitting to have my first project be the first project that I made since I started studying fashion at a school for handicraft industry and applied arts this fall.
This was the first skirt that I’ve made using a pattern that I myself drew starting with a basic pattern block and made to my own measurements. It’s actually a two piece ensemble consisting of an overskirt and an underskirt that can be also worn on its own.
I wanted the skirt to have a victorian or steampunk inspired feel without going too literal. I may make a proper victorian gown later on, but this one I wanted to be a modern take on the spirit of the style.
I liked the idea of playing with the direction of the stripes in the front of the skirt and althought I made a couple of mistakes in sewing the front and it didn’t turn out exactly as planned, I quite like the effect. The waist line was supposed to have a bit more of a V shape in the front with one side going under the other, but that just seemed impossible to fit and the V ended up disappearing almost completely.
I set a budget of 100€ for the skirt, but as usual, I went overboard and the final total was 150€ for the materials, 100€ for the overskirt and 50€ for the underskirt.
The pleating at the hem I had done for me because it would have driven me crazy trying to iron on all the pleats within the time constraints we had. That’s why I chose a polyester taffeta for the hem ruffle; it had to be man-made for the pleating to be permanent.
Overskirt: satin striped wool, polyester taffeta for the pleated ruffle at the hem, chinese braid, an invisible zipper, fusible interfacing.
Underskirt: an embroidered black linen for the main fabric, a plain black linen for the ruffles, a zipper, fusible interfacing.